Two of the best blogs for Egyptian and Arab world analysis are run by Issandr el-Amrani, called The Arabist, and Nervana Mahmoud, called Nervana. One of their regular services is to provide an update of links to other articles and reports from the internet, which they have allowed me to re-post here. The links and commentary are, of course, their own.
Please enjoy. From Arabist:
- Anfass propose une loi d’amnistie générale en faveur des activistes des mouvements sociaux – Le Desk
General amnesty proposed for Rif convicts.
- Au Maroc, les militants du Rif écopent d’une vie en prison | Mediapart
Extensive coverage of Rif verdict (FR)
- Abdellah Tourabi: pourquoi “le procès du Rif” est une erreur historique – H24info
Important column on Rif verdict in Morocco.
- Prisoners of a Vision: Dissidents in Sisi’s Egypt
Tom Stevenson in LA Review of Books.
- Leaders of protests in Morocco’s Rif region (calling for hospitals, schools, an end to corruption) get 20 year prison sentences
- Seymour Hersh on Syria: “There’s no such thing as a chlorine bomb”
La vieillesse est un naufrage.
- Morocco jails protest leaders for up to 20 years for 2016 rallies
This is an outrageous injustice.
- The World Today With Tariq Ali – Saudi Arabia: A Brute in the Driver’s Seat
Interview with Madawi al-Rasheed.
- A Ghost Army of Workers Is Paid to Do Nothing in the Gulf | Bloomberg
- Why Russia’s Middle East Gamble Has a Limited Payoff | WSJ
- Who controls Libya’s oil riches? | Al Jazeera English
- Russian Forces in Syria and the Building of a Sustainable Military Presence | Arab Reform Initiative
Interesting paper on how Russia is actually running the Syrian army.
- China Smells Opportunity in the Middle East’s Crisis | Foreign Policy
- Libya’s lawless skies | Airwars
- The U.S. Has Conducted 550 Drone Strikes in Libya Since 2011 — More Than in Somalia, Yemen, or Pakistan | The Intercept
- La politique du feuilleton (2/2) : l’Arabie saoudite refait le passé | CPA
- Trump’s ‘Deal of the Century’ for the Middle East Might Live or Die in Cairo | Haaretz
Almost everything in this Zvi Bar’el article is ludicrous.
- Egypt taking risks with sharp subsidy cuts, economists say | Reuters
- One Chlorine Bomb, Dozens Killed in Syria: How Assad Gassed His Own People | NYT
- The other Lebanese | Synaps
On Palestinan youth in Lebanon.
- Migrants : l’Europe à la dérive | Libération
Excellent overview of EU migration debate, which seems to boil down for Macron-Merkel to processing camps for migrants in Southern Europe and North Africa (neither wants them).
- Asmarat: The state’s model housing for former ‘slum’ residents
Great reporting by @madamasr on Orwellian housing project: no trees, no shops, no vendors, and guards at the gate!
- A Website Seeks to Show ‘How Alive Arabic Is’
@ursulind profiles self-proclaimed “Arabic nerd,” greater of online dictionary Living Arabic, for @alfanar
- Conventional Humanitarian Solutions Fail the Test
Parastou Hassouri in MERIP on the untenable current system for helping refugees
- Algeria and Iraq shut down internet to prevent exam cheating
Absurd, stupid, neanderthal.
- What Happens Now in Syria? | LobeLog
Interview with Joshua Landis.
- Limiting Change Through Change: The Key to the Algerian Regime’s Longevity | Carnegie
- Israel Charges a Former Minister With Spying for Iran | NYT
- Why Arab states have lots of expensive villas | The Economist
And not enough cheap homes.
- The last salt miners of Morocco | Al Jazeera
- A New Standard for the Gulf States | LRB blog
Pretty shocking stat from Oliver Miles: over 1200 workers have died in last 3 years in Qatar, largely on World Cup 2022 projects.
- Early Elections Would Be a Disaster | Foreign Affairs
Frederic Wehrey and Wolfram Lacher – yup!