Two of the best blogs for Egyptian and Arab world analysis are run by Issandr el-Amrani, called The Arabist, and Nervana Mahmoud, called Nervana. One of their regular services is to provide an update of links to other articles and reports from the internet, which they have allowed me to re-post here. The links and commentary are, of course, their own.
Please enjoy. From Arabist:
- Uri Avnery, veteran peace activist and among first Israelis to meet Arafat, dies at 94 – Haaretz
- One Million Muslim Uighurs Have Been Detained by China, the U.N. Says. Where’s the Global Outrage? | The Intercept
- Les fantômes de Raba’a planent sur l’Egypte | Mediapart
Long piece deconstructing the Rabaa massacre
- Le pétrolier Total quitte l’Iran et renonce à un vaste projet gazier | Le Monde
Iran formally announces Total withdrawal due to US pressure
- Qatar, Turkey central banks ink currency swap deal
- Water Wars on the Nile | Foreign Affairs
Good overview of Nile & Red Sea geopolitics by Michael Hanna and Daniel Benaim
- A Place of Distinctive Despair | Brookings
Fred Wehrey and Emad Badi on Sirte
- A Top Syrian Scientist Is Killed, and Fingers Point at Israel | NYT
- The World Abetted Assad’s Victory in Syria
- Beyond fragility: Syria and the challenges of reconstruction in fierce states
- Foreign Belly Dancers? Egyptians Shake Their Heads (and Hips) | NYT
- Five Books That Take You Beyond One Thousand and One Nights
- The Thousand and One Nights (Alf Layla wa-Layla) (2 vols.)
- The Reith Lectures | BBC
Margaret MacMillan examines the role of civilians as supporters and victims of conflict.
- Scholars Decry Arrest of Ph.D. Student in Egypt
MESA statement on Waleed Khalil el-Sayed Salem.
- UAE extends compulsory military service to 16 months amid Yemen war
At what point do Emiratis say, no conscription without representation?
- The Maps of Israeli Settlements That Shocked Barack Obama | The New Yorker
Not that he did anything about it.
- Anthropology of Coptic Christianity Since 2012
A reading list of recent literature
- Egypt Sentences Lebanese Tourist to 8 Years in Prison for Facebook Video | NYT
You can’t make this stuff up.
- How the West and the UN Failed Libya | Atlantic Council
Striking talk of partition in this piece.
- 6-meter-high barrier to seal off airport area south of Arish under construction | Mada Masr
- How a victorious Bashar al-Assad is changing Syria | The Economist
- Pourquoi les Juifs ont quitté le Maroc | Youtube
Interesting documentary on why Jews (mostly) left Morocco (French/Hebrew) in the 60s.
- Unwelcome Sound on Germany’s Stages: Musicians Who Boycott Israel
It’s not complicated, Germany: being pro-BDS comes from the same values as being anti-Nazi.
- France aiding Egypt repression through arms sales: NGOs | Al Jazeera
- Syrian government offensive has displaced at least 270,000 in southwest